Summer Teen Volunteer
If you are a teen entering grades 9-12 and would like a fun volunteer opportunity, Manhattan Public Library needs help with our summer programs. Tasks may include preparing craft materials, giving out reading prizes, assisting at events, sorting and shelving books, and other tasks to help make summer programs fun for all ages. You must be available for at least seven (7) weeks between May 15, 2021, and July 31, 2021, to be eligible. Summer volunteers may work anywhere between 4-18 hours per week, depending on volunteer preference. Shifts are usually 2-6 hours long and may take place Monday through Friday: 10 a.m.-7 p.m.; Saturday: 10 a.m.-6 p.m.; Sunday: 1 p.m.-6 p.m. A commitment of four (4) hours a week is required. Priority will be given to teens indicating the most availability and scheduling flexibility and previous volunteer experience. Attendance at the orientation and training sessions is required.
To apply, fill out the online application or pick up a paper application at the library’s Circulation Desk. The deadline to submit applications is 5 p.m., Thursday, April 15, 2021. Interviews will take place after Monday, April 19th.
Bring your paper application to the library and leave it at the Circulation Desk, the Administration Office, or mail it to:
Manhattan Public Library
629 Poyntz Avenue
Manhattan, KS 66502.
You will be contacted for an interview if your preferences and the library needs match the volunteer job description.
After the interview, accepted volunteers will attend an orientation before starting the position.
There are a limited number of positions available, and unfortunately, we are not able to hire everyone who applies. If you are not accepted the first time you apply, please try again.
Who can volunteer?
- Anyone interested in supporting the library.
- Anyone without a criminal record.
- We do not accept volunteers for court appointed community service.
- Those who can commit to volunteering for at least six months or for the defined term of a project.
What do volunteers do?
- Help with kids’ events and storytimes
- Label and cover new books
- Repair books
- Assist with public relations projects and tasks
- Assist with other tasks as assigned
When do volunteers work?
- Times are based on the availability of volunteers and the needs of the library
Why should I volunteer?
- Make a difference in your community
- Feel good about yourself
- Make friends and have fun