We are seeking applications for Youth Services Volunteers to assist staff with programs, which may include storytimes, clubs or events. Volunteers may also help with craft projects, straightening in the Children’s Room or Teen space, or assisting with organizing library materials. Ability to work 1-3 hours per week for a minimum of 3 months. Current needs are for: Wednesdays 10:45-11:45, Thursdays 9:15-10:15 and Friday 9:45-10:45. There’s also volunteers opportunities for Thursday afternoons.
Please print the VOLUNTEER APPLICATION and return it to any public service desk or mail to Manhattan Public Library, 629 Poyntz Avenue, Manhattan, KS 66502 Attention: Teri Belin, Human Resources Manager.
Teen Volunteer Positions
Teens in 7th-12th grade can volunteer in the Children’s Library for a semester to earn community service hours and learn job skills.
How to Apply for a Teen Volunteer Position
- Print and fill out the teen volunteer application. Turn in the application at the Children’s Library service desk.
- You will be contacted for an interview if there is a current position available.
- After the interview, accepted volunteers will attend an orientation before starting the position.
Applications are accepted on a first come, first served basis. There are a limited number of positions available, and unfortunately we are not able to hire everyone who applies. If you are not accepted the first time you apply, please try again. For other volunteer opportunities, check out information about our Teen Library Advisory Board (TLAB).
Teen Volunteer FAQ
Who can volunteer?
- Teens in 7th-12th grade
- Those who can commit to volunteering for at least one semester
- Those who have permission from a parent or guardian
What do teen volunteers do?
- Prepare craft projects and handouts for kids’ programs
- Straighten up and dust shelves in the Children’s Library
- Help with kids’ events
- Sort book carts alphabetically and numerically
- Work at the Summer Reading Prize Desk
- Assist with other tasks as assigned
When do teen volunteers work?
- Once per week for about 1.5-2 hours during the spring of fall semesters
- 2-4 times per week during the summer
- Times are based on the availability of volunteers and the needs of the library
Why should I volunteer?
- Earn community service hours
- Learn job skills and values
- Make a difference in your community
- Feel good about yourself
- Make friends and have fun
Contact Rachael at (785) 320-5367 or ya@MHKLibrary.org