Hoopla is a groudbreaking digital media service offered by Manhattan Public Library that allows you to borrow movies, music, audiobooks, ebooks, graphic novels, and TV shows to enjoy on your computer, tablet, phone – and even your TV. With no waiting, titles can be streamed immediately or downloaded for offline enjoyment later. More than 500,000 titles are available, with more added daily. You will even find same-day releases available to borrow.
How to Use
You can stream titles instantly through your desktop browser or the hoopla mobile app. The mobile app will allow you to download titles to your device for use offline.
Each library cardholder may borrow five titles per month. At the end of the borrowing period, the title will no longer be available. There are never any late fees or charges for this service.
The first time you visit hoopla, you will be asked to create an account.
- Download the App (recommended) or go to hoopladigital.com
- Click log in
- Click sign in for the first time
- Select Manhattan Public Library as your provider
- Create an account using your library card number, password, email, and a new password you create
- The next time you visit the site, you can log in with your email address and hoopla password, or simply open the App to get started
All of the 500,000+ titles are available immediately with no waiting and no holds.
Anything you check out is returned automatically at the end of the borrowing period.
To make sure kids don’t have access to adult materials, simply toggle the Kids Mode switch under the settings menu of the App.
Five Per Month
Each library card can access five titles per calendar month. The library is charged per checkout, so the limit ensures that everyone can use the service, not just a few enthusiastic borrowers.
- Movies and TV shows: 3 days (note: each TV show episode counts as 1 checkout)
- Audiobooks, ebooks, and graphic novels: 3 weeks
- Music albums: 1 week
People with blocked cards will not be able to check out items on hoopla until the block is removed.
- When the borrowing period is over, items will no longer be accessible on your device. If you have not yet reached the five item limit, you can check out the item again.
- All of the downloaded content is available offline using the Hoopla App, but you have to select “download” while connected to the Internet.
- To find downloaded content, click on the app and you will be directed to the “my titles” portion. Listen, read, or watch from there even when you’re not connected to the Internet.
- Files are not “saved” in the traditional way. The app is the only way to access the downloaded content.