by Judi Nechols, Adult Services Librarian
The long, hot, dog days of summer are upon us. It’s tempting to just sit around, but there are too many things happening in and around town to relax! Some of the fun events coming up in Manhattan are:
- Manhattan Town Center is having the annual Dog Days Sidewalk Sale, from July 24th through July 27th. Head to the mall to find some bargains!
- The Riley County Fair kicks off on July 24 with a parade downtown along Poyntz Ave. Lots of events and activities will take place at the fairgrounds at CICO Park, including the Ottaway Amusement Carnival.
- The 39th Annual Kaw Valley PRCA Rodeo also begins July 24th, at 8:00pm, and continues on the 25th and 26th at Wells Arena in CICO Park. Catch the riding, roping, bull riding and rodeo clowns! As a tie-in to the event, MPL will also be hosting a rodeo-themed story time at the Flint Hills Discovery Center on Thursday, July 24th at 9:30am. Members of the Kaw Valley Rodeo Association will provide stories and demonstrations for kids, featuring Rodeo Clown Andy North, Barrelman Rick Young and Cowboy Poet Ron Wilson. Better yet, each child who attends receives a free ticket to the Kaw Valley Rodeo!
- Furniture Amnesty Day is Saturday, July 25th from 8:00 am to 5:00pm in City Park. Furniture may be donated or you may sign up for a time to select items, all for free!
- Downtown Farmers Market is Saturday, July 26th from 8:00 am to 1:00pm. Shop for local produce, baked goods, flowers, honey and more—located in the Dillards parking lot at 3rd and Leavenworth.
- Pools and the Splash Park are still open to cool off, and Arts in the Park continues on Friday, July 25th at 8:00pm with a Tribute to Journey by Odyssey Road. Musical festivities continue on August 1st at 8:00pm with jazz/folk/bluegrass music from Run Boy Run, and the Little Apple Music Festival beginning at 5:00pm on August 2nd.
- ZOOfari Tails at the Zoo is on July 25th at 9:30am at Sunset Zoo. Children’s librarians and zoo docents will read stories, followed by zoo staff showing animals and animal artifacts or leading tours to specific exhibits. Monthly book give-away will be sponsored by Claflin Books. Families who attend the event can be entered into a drawing for a free one-year Friends of Sunset Zoo family membership. Looking for more wild activities? August 2nd is Water Safari & Free Kids Day and you can cool off at Sunset Zoo with family-friendly activities from 12:00pm to 4:30pm. Kids visit free with a paid adult admission from 10:00am to 5:00pm.
If outdoor activities aren’t your thing, consider these other activities that can help you beat the heat.
- First and foremost, the Manhattan Public Library’s Summer Reading Programs continue to the 31st—you still have time to read that book on your list and enter to win a prize from one of our very cool sponsors.
- The Marianna Kistler Beach Art Museum at KSU currently has two exhibitions to view—Janet Backes: Where the Heart Belongs and “Igniting the Senses.”
- You can also check out the Ice Age Imperials Exhibit at the Flint Hills Discovery Center through September 14th. Interacting with real fossils from ancient animals like the saber-toothed cat, woolly mammoth, giant sloth, dire wolf, giant beaver and teeth from a huge prehistoric bear makes the Ice Age come alive for visitors like never before.
Know of something else going on around that we didn’t mention? Drop us a line or share with us on social media!
Latest posts by Judi (see all)
- A Fable for Our Times: The Buried Giant – March 29, 2015
- Monarchs Baseball History at MPL – March 26, 2015
- Spring is here! (?) – March 20, 2015
- Celebrate St. Patrick’s Day in Manhattan – March 11, 2015
- March Events at the Library Include Baseball and Charles Dickens – March 8, 2015