The Spur Awards, given annually for distinguished writing about the American West, are among the oldest and most prestigious in American literature. The awards were established by WWA in 1953.
They are given for many types of writing including novels, short fiction and nonfiction, biography, history, juvenile fiction and nonfiction, best TV or motion picture drama, best TV or motion picture documentary, and best first novel.
Winners of the Spur Awards in previous years include Larry McMurtry for Lonesome Dove, Michael Blake for Dances With Wolves, Glendon Swarthout for The Shootist, Lucia St. Clair Robson for Ride the Wind, and Tony Hillerman for Skinwalker. The Western Writers of America are presenting the Spur Awards this week at their convention in Sacramento.
Anne Hillerman’s Spider Woman’s Daughter, which continues her late father’s mystery series won the award for Best First Novel. Check out the complete list of winners at http://westernwriters.org/spur-awards/
Latest posts by Judi (see all)
- All things Austen! – December 19, 2014
- 2014 Shaara Prize for Civil War Fiction Goes to “Nostalgia” – December 18, 2014
- City Cemetery Information – December 16, 2014
- Icons in the World of Music: The Latest in Unforgettable Biographies – December 14, 2014
- Gingerbread Decorating Day(December 13) – December 13, 2014