by Heather Strafuss, Assistant Circulation Supervisor
Today is “Embrace Your Geekdom Day” so get your favorite fandom shirt out and let your geek love show. You may even make a new friend or two!
- Harry Potter: a young boy learns he is a wizard and, after arriving at magic school, discovers he is linked to a great destiny.
- Doctor Who: a Time Lord in a police-box travels through time and space to save the universe from numerous foes.
- Star Trek: the spaceship U.S.S. Enterprise boldly goes where no man has gone before—into the final frontier: space.
- Percy Jackson and the Olympians: a boy learns that his father is the ancient Greek God Poseidon, and he must flee to Camp Half-Blood before the ancient Greek monsters find him.
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Slayer keeps the world safe from vampires, and other Big Bads, with a ragtag group of friends.
- Yu-Gi-Oh!: a boy solves the ancient Millennium Puzzle, and awakens a gambling alter-ego within his body who solves his conflicts using various games.
As the wise Simon Peg states, “Being a geek is all about being honest about what you enjoy and not being afraid to demonstrate that affection. It means never having to play it cool abotu how much you like something. It’s basically a license to proudly emote on a somewhat childish level rather than behave like a supposed adult. Being a geek is extremely liberating.”
Stop by the library and join us in being shamelessly nerdy. Can’t make it in? Follow us on Facebook and Twitter to see what nerdy things we are into right now—and definitely don’t forget Pinterest, which has its very own “Shamelessy Nerdy” board.