With construction and summer reading going on simultaneously, this year we’ve been so busy we hardly noticed that summer break is on the downward slope. Did you know only one month is left before school starts?! (I know, I was surprised, too!)
For some people, this equals extra incentive to take care of those summertime projects—perhaps add a few more plants to the garden or finally get the garage cleaned out. Here at Manhattan Public Library, though, the approach of August means one thing in particular–we’ve got to get our books read for summer reading! The final day for the summer reading program is Thursday, July 31st, and sadly, that is just a few short weeks away.
So far, 2,809 people have signed up to participate. Don’t worry, though! If you haven’t started, there is still time for readers of all ages to participate and earn prizes. You can sign up online or by visiting the library in person. Kids and teens earn prizes for the amount of time they spend reading or being read to, and adults can log the number of books they read or the number of hours they spend reading to earn chances for weekly prize drawings. Sponsors for this year’s program include Varsity Donuts, Texas Roadhouse, the Sunset Zoo, the Flint Hills Discovery Center, and Bourbon and Baker, so don’t miss out!
Not sure that you can knock out many books between now and August 1st? Here are a few extra, quick-and-easy ways for adults to earn drawing chances:
- Stop by the Information Desk for your sign-up prize!
- Recommend a book to a friend
- Explore science in your community: Visit the Discovery Center or Sunset Zoo, or go for a hike in the Konza Prairie
- Visit a place you’ve never been by reading a book
- Read to a child
- Read a book from one of our displays
- Ask for a personalized reading list
- Visit one of our sponsor’s and thank them!
This year, we’re also hosting a special summer reading photo contest on social media. Every time you tag the library in a photo of yourself visiting a summer reading sponsor OR reading, on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest, you will be entered into a weekly drawing for an awesome prize. You can enter each week for more chances to win, making this great for folks who are serious about their reading!
For more information about summer reading, and to see a complete list of sponsors, visit the summer reading FAQ page.
Latest posts by Alphild (see all)
- Only Love Can Drive Out Hate: MLK, Jr. Art and Writing Contest 2015 – January 7, 2015
- December Construction Update – December 10, 2014
- Use Research to Fuel Your Holiday Planning! – December 3, 2014
- What’s Happening, Manhattan? – October 24, 2014
- Teens at the Library – October 17, 2014